The Medicaid cancer foundation in collaboration with Kebbi state ministry of health and other partners has rolled out a series of activities to create awareness, build diagnostic capacity and raise funds for indigent cancer patients.
The 8 year old foundation is an initiative of the wife of the Kebbi state governor, Dr Zainab Shinkafi-Bagudu. The theme this year is “Promoting early detection of cancer to reduce mortality rate”. The MCF is particularly worried about the increasing practice of bringing very late and graphic cases to public attention particularly through media and wishes to promote skills that will make us detect cases earlier so that outcomes can be improved.
Activities lined up include the following-:
1. Walk Against cancer: Pink Hijab Walk- 8am 7th October. Kick off Government House Birnin Kebbi
2. Free cervical and breast cancer screening for women. Target is 2000 women in 4 LG. Birnin Kebbi, Bunza, Arewa and Ngaski.
3. Training exercise for 66(2 per LGA) health workers across the state on cervical cancer screening using VIA method and breast cancer using manual palpation with senso-gloves. To be held in Bunza General Hospital from 4th to 8th October.
4. Setting up and donating start up materials to the 4 LGAs.
5. Media chats and sensitization forum in Waziri Umar Polytechnic, Bunza, Ngaski and Arewa LGAs
6. Fundraising Dinner in support of cancer victims in the State
7. Free viewing and distribution of a specially commissioned Hausa drama entitled “Yakin Abu” starring Medicaid Cancer Foundation Ambassador Rahama Sadau. The drama about a woman’s battle with breast cancer will target women and youth organizations. Other stars include Rabi’u Rikadawa, Jamila Nagudu and Alhassan Kwalle.
8. Other artists expected to support with specially produced material on Cancer prevention include Hausa rapper Morell, Sadiq Zazzabi, Zakara and Voices for Girl Child.
Various committees have reached advaanced stage of preparation.